Facilitated by parishioners Karen Peeler and David Frego, this new Rise & Shine series begins Sunday, November 19, 2023, and runs through Sunday, December 17, 2023.
The Gospel of Mark doesn’t have a nativity story—so where’s the Advent message? It’s in every aspect of Jesus’ life, to his death and beyond. The Incarnation—God come to earth in human form to be baptized, teach, heal, eat, and die—is what we celebrate at Christmas, and Mark shows us just how radical and celebration-worthy it is! Holy Disruption presents a fresh understanding of the holiness of Christmas grounded, not in a conventional cozy Christmas message, but through Mark's disquieting gospel which invites its readers to experience God's disruptive but transformative love for us and our world.
This year, beginning Nov. 19 during the 9:15 am Rise and Shine hour, Trinity Church will use the season of Advent to facilitate conversation and connection to each other and the meaning of this time in the church year. Tracy Daub’s book, Holy Disruption: Discovering Advent in the Gospel of Mark, may be purchased through Amazon, or other book stores for $14.00, but purchase of the book is not necessary to participate in the study fully.
Our sessions will be:
- Nov. 19 – Introduction to the Study, and the End of the World as We Know It; Anticipating the Coming of Christ
- Nov. 26 – Peace on Earth, Good Will to All: Faux Peace and Righteous Confrontation
- Dec. 3 – Home for the Holidays; Finding Our Home in the Kingdom of God
- Dec. 10 – Hidden in Plain Sight; Secrets and Revelations of the Messiah
- Dec. 17 – The Cradle, The Cross, and the Gift of Emmanuel